New Zealand is one of only two countries to export more than half of its total food production and Malaysia is; its 9th largest export market, with trade volumes growing year-on-year. The showcase at the 2016 Food Connection Malaysia is a demonstration of New Zealand’s understanding of the complex international food market and the rapidly growing need to produce safe and quality food in a sustainable and innovative manner.
“Every day, our more than 2,600 food producers create mouthwatering and nutritious foods to suit every palate in Asia, all in safe, sustainable and pristine conditions,” says Matt Ritchie, New Zealand Trade Commissioner to Malaysia.
“We are honoured to work with like-minded partners here in Malaysia and look forward to bringing even more delicious and high-quality New Zealand food to Malaysian consumers,” says HE Dr. John Subritzky,New Zealand Ambassador/High Commissioner to Malaysia. At the event, patrons can relish some of New Zealand’s best F&B products and meet the companies all without travelling to New Zealand!
Food Connection is a B2B trade show series, running across Asia by New Zealand Trade and Enterprise (NZTE). This trade show will give Malaysia’s top food and beverage professionals an opportunity to taste some of New Zealand’s finest food and wines, and meet many of the country’s key producers. New Zealand is a trusted supplier of high quality and safe food to consumers in more than 100 countries.
What’s new this year at 2016 New Zealand Food Connection :
Spring Sheep Milk Co.: Luxurious, creamy and healthy NZ sheep milk products including gelato and milk powder suitable for lactose-intolerant individuals.
Pic’s Peanut Butter: The peanut butter brand in New Zealand, with no preservatives, no colouring, no added sugar, just high oleic peanuts.
Southern Fresh: 30 years growing experience. New Zealand’s leading professional growers and processors of high-quality baby vegetables, salad lines, and herbs – both fresh and processed.
Sealord: One of the largest seafood companies in the Southern Hemisphere. And with more than 50 years of fishing experience, farming, processing and marketing operations.
Mud House Wines: Two decades and Award winning vineyard.
Arahi Beverages: High-quality halal wine using high-quality wine grapes.
Emerald Foods: Premium Ice Cream manufacturer based in Auckland since 1985.
Also featured were the best in meat, seafood, beverage and grocery items from the likes of
Dunningham, Eco Healthy Foods, Emerald Foods Ltd, Fonterra Brands, Giesen Wines, Kapiti Ice Cream, Mudhouse, New Zealand Unlimited SDN BHD, Pure South, Sealord, Shott Beverages, Spring Sheep Milk Co,Talley’s, The New Zealand Dessert Company and The Tatua Co-operative Dairy Company.
Best Restaurant To Eat Food Bag Challenge
In conjucntion with this year Food Connection Event, food bloggers were given a special mystery bag which has special ingredients and are to be used to craft out our specialty dishes for this challenge.
In the mystery bag, we had the Greenshell Mussel and the Hake Steak from Talley and the special Lamb Ribs from Pure South
For this challenge, we have decided to cook 2 dishes which the first is the Spicy Aglio Olio Fettuccine with New Zealand Green Shell Mussel.
Ingredient for the Spicy Aglio Olio Fettuccine with New Zealand Green Shell Mussel are:
- 5 pieces of Green Mussel
- 20 strands of fettuccine
- 10 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 medium size onions (finely chopped)
- 1 stalk of fresh coriander
- 1 fresh green chilli (julienne)
- 1 fresh red chilli (julienne)
- 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs
- 1/2 cup of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the fettuccine in a pot of hot water for 7 minutes.
- Heat the pan and sauteed the garlic, onions and coriander stalk until fragrant.
- Fry the green mussel and add in water to cook it,
- Add in fresh julienne red, green chillies and the semi cooked fettuccine.
- Stir fried it and add the mixed herbs, add salt and pepper to taste.
Spicy Aglio Olio Fettuccine with New Zealand Green Shell Mussel.
and the second dish is the Bacon Wrapped Hake Steak with Bacon Chip Mashed Japanese Sweet Potato.
Ingredient for the Bacon Wrapped Hake Steak with Bacon Chip Mashed Japanese Sweet Potato
- 1 piece of Hake Steak (200g).
- 150 g Japanese Sweet Potato.
- 1 pcs of medium size Potato.
- 4 pcs of streaky pork bacon.
- 1 packet of Hand Cooked Potato Crisps.
- Salt and black pepper to taste.
- Marinate the Hake Steak with salt and black pepper and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Pan fried 1 piece of the streaky pork bacon until crisp.
- Cut the bacon strip to chip size and set aside.
- Steam the potato (skin removed) and the Japanese sweet potato until soft.
- Mashed the sweet potato and mix it with the bacon chips.
- Wrapped the Hake Steak with the 3 pieces of pork bacon.
- Oven roast the Hake Steak at 175 degrees for 10 minutes; Turn over steak and baked for another 10 minutes.
- Served it on top of the mashed Japanese Sweet Potatoes.
You can check out the #NZFoodConnection or @NZ_Global for more information.